Monday, March 23, 2015


You hear that? Yeah, me either. That's the sound of NOTHING because I haven't blogged in MONTHS! BUT some of it is for a good reason, I have been making some updates to the blog (which you may have noticed) and I have been working on a special project which I will announce soon and we have been doing some more house updates.  Other than that its just been life and work taking up my time, but I am really going to make an effort to blog more regularly. 

Okay back to the updates! If you follow me on Instagram, you have seen a few of these pictures I have posted of the progress.  But, if you are like me, you like to see them all in one spot and see how each one progresses.  

So just as a reminder, this is what our dining room looked like about a year ago: striped wall, picture ledges, etc. I would have posted a picture of what it looked like before that but I think it is safe to say that we are all blocking that awful red wall out of our memory!

And here (if you squint real hard through the Mexican party decor) you can see what it has looked like for the past 8 or so months: Stripes gone, gray walls, and vintage door just propped against the wall. 

Behind that wall in the dining room is what we call the "playroom" but let's be honest, it's just crap. EVERYWHERE. And hopefully now that it is wide open for the world to see, we will finally turn it into a playroom. :) 

Clay's Uncle Mike always gets stuck helping us
 So as you can see from the picture below, there is now an opening. Well, two really. You can see where the existing door is located and where we put the new opening. 

And as you can see here, there is the junk. You can also see the process of framing in the door way and adding the rounded corners to the new doorway and framing in and adding drywall to the old doorway. 

Crosby had to leave some treasure inside the walls! 
 And here is the last step that we have complete: the taping and bedding. All that's left for us to do now is to redo the texture then paint!

 Our sliding door is working great, I will be taking more pictures once we start on cleaning and decorating the playroom. 

The other project we have been working on is two Ikea hacks.  A few years back, I re-did an antique dresser and painted it black lacquer and put some handles on it but shocker never finished it then decided I didn't want it anymore.  So I sold it and we lived without a dresser for a few weeks. I picked out 2 Ikea dressers and did a combo of two different dresser DIY's that I had found on Pinterest.  Putting Ikea furniture together is the ab-so-lute worst, but we are both happy with how they have turned out. One dresser came already painted white and one was raw wood, but it was fine because I knew I was going to end up painting them both.


I spray painted the legs of both dressers gold and then painted them both gray (one of the pictures it looks purple, but I can assure you it is NOT). 

Before we got the handles painted and put together we had a very high-tech system for opening the painters tape! 

The handles were made from copper pipes and copper bell hangers.  We wanted something a little industrial so we went with the copper pipe, but didn't want copper so I spray painted them all gold. I will post an actual finished picture soon, I promise!